I spent ALL week quilting the Hungarian Broken Dishes quilt and the quilting is now complete. I really hurt my back, though! I have even got the sleeve, bias binding and label ready. Bonnie inNew Yorkwas commissioned to buy all of the white baby rickrack in her local Walmart to go around some of the plates and edges so I’m just waiting for that to arrive in the post so I can finish it all off. I am a little concerned about the entry form. I don’t actually have one yet. I have emailed the Hungarian Museum so hope they reply soon. They may not even accept my quilt as it is not made purely with Hungarian Kekfesto. There is also some reproduction indigo and the coffee pot fabric border. I had fun tracking down doilies so it all looks a bit like a plate rack. The very wide borders have had freehand cross hatching done to represent the crackle of old dishes. These will be cut into scallops. It took me a while to figure out what plate to use to draft these as I did not want terribly sharp clefts in the scallops. I expect that if I get a bumfle in the binding at these points, I will stick on a button or yoyo to hide the lump.
The children were great – the weather was poor for the first week of their Easter holiday but they entertained themselves and even did chores after I promised to pay them and take them for fish and chips in Stonehaven at the end of the week.
My husband thought he would take them to the Castle for an egg hunt but forgot something half way down the track. Instead of reversing back up, he backed into the field opening into the patch of ground where a digger had recently dug a drainage hole. Now, I said a winch would have been handy for the Landy…
Instead of quickly realising that there was a sticky situation and putting down dry straw, branches etc, he got it thoroughly grounded. This was a rescue by the farmer situation – I told him exactly who had been driving at the time!
Having been reading the APQS forum posts this week, I am seriously considering some large templates for basic customer quilts. These might enable me to take more in and finish them more quickly than I do at present. These would also be great for anyone wanting to hire my machine for DIY quilting. The outlay is expensive so I will have to be sure that the equipment would earn its keep. There are so many things that are bought and never used in a quilter’s studio!
I thought I would get on and draft the pattern for “Silent Movie Star” for the magazine out on the computer with EQ6. Hmm, not so easy as I first thought. I thought I had read the manual and understood some of it but the computer did not seem to do what the book advised. I have now bought another book called “EQ6 Simplified” and on another quilter’s recommendation, may sign up for a Quilt University class on EQ6. I am fed up with all of my unused gadgets and gizmos – I either have to master them or sell them.
There was a discussion on the forum this week about computer drawing tablets and sketching out ideas for quilting in Paint straight onto a picture of the quilt top using the stylus. I have one of those too. I got it with a program for the Designer SE and have never used it either. I opened a quilt photo in Paint, plugged the tablet into the slot where the mouse should go and was drawing – well, scribbling would be a more accurate description. I expect it takes practice but I was reminded of why I have always hated drawing.
I have completed the set of Courthouse Steps blocks that will go around the “Pearls of Wisdom” Buddha. This was all calculated and measured to finish at a 12.5” block so that it would produce a nice even 12” block when sewn together. I don’t know whether because I used different materials including raw silk or I just wasn’t very careful but all of the blocks finished at a scant 12”. Now having had a tidy up, they will end up as 11.5” blocks when sewn. That is a very odd number. Next time I will try to remember to make the outer strips wider so I can trim them back to an even 12.5”!!