NLpieced bolster2

Nobody will be surprised to be told that although I started the week with a plan, I only stuck to it on Monday. I set aside the entire day to make and photograph the Northern Lights project. I soon discovered that it was beyond my capabilities to talk, sew, press record while remembering to turn off the radio and washing machine in order to make a video clip. Taking a photo after every single step is really time consuming and somehow the project was more convoluted than it need to be. It took me the whole day to draw that conclusion but I won’t count it as a wasted day. I decided that the strip-set looked too fancy and also took too long to be feasible for a half day class. I am pleased with the final piece but the class and book chapter needs to be simplified. Northern Lights will have to become an ordinary square cushion and the bolster cushion can be made from the metallic whole cloth project instead.

The rest of the week became a bit interrupted because I had not really thought about picking Freya up in the middle of the day after her mock exams and the mid-term break started on Thursday.


She persuaded me to take the double wedding ring customer quilt off the frame after I had done the background so that I could finish Sam’s quilt in time for Valentine’s Day. The 120 large drunkard’s path blocks went together quickly after a while and we had fun arranging them into different combinations of whole and partial circles. After we got home from the entertaining Lego Movie, I raced to get the binding on just before we experienced thunder, lightning, snow and a powercut. He was delighted with the funky pattern and novelty fabrics that included guitars, lizards, Pokemon and cats.


Trixie’s Golden Double Wedding Ring quilt got finished off in the end. I had been asked to “keep it simple” so it had piano key and wishbone borders, plumes in the background and pumpkin seeds around the rings. The navy reverse looks nice too as I used a gold thread in the bobbin.

I have a couple of other customer quilts to do but I am being tempted by the gorgeous, soft leather skins that arrived by post this week. They are much more supple than the original white leather goatskin that I used for the Imbolc totem. Hopefully this might be easier to sew all of the beads and gems on!



About thequiltquine

Quirky Quilter in Scotland Creator of The Quilted Yurts, Patchwork Smart Car, Metallic Norse Wholecloths, Coracle, Quilted Henge, Quilting Tutor & Speaker, Occasional Pig-Keeper, Primary School Teacher, Mother, Writer, Landrover Enthusiast, Gin Connoisseur

2 responses »

  1. I love that you are able to “quilt” for a job!!! You are doing some brilliant work, and your customers must be thrilled!! The northern lights project is interesting. Did you use the specialty stitches on your domestic machine before quilting it, or were they part of the quilting process?? I have a new Janome 8900 and it has a lot of those nifty stitches I just love to play with. Then I wonder, what am I going to do with this strip I just “wasted” while playing. That you have done them up in a block and eventually a useful item is encouraging.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.