It’s been a funny old week where I have felt rather busy but not entirely sure what I have actually done. I had a go at filming a couple of demos on couching and using a twin needle on the Q24 using a machine mounted GoPro and a tripod mounted camera but I have not got sufficient editing skills to tie the 2 different views together. Much time can be wasted in this way, just like figuring out how to get sketchy diagrams to look more professional without any actual graphics design capabilities at all.
My Scan n Cut machine arrived but my initial efforts did not go well. After watching several Youtube video demos, I ordered a replacement sticky mat, a spare blade and a whole gamut of potentially handy items. I wonder if a machine like that should be bought from a shop like a sewing machine dealer where you get after sales training;)
I confess that I was disappointed that BzB did not win any accolades at MQX. I began to doubt myself and wonder if it is not up to scratch for shows in the USA. According to the judging sheet my quilting needs some improvement, as does my colouring in… I have entered it into Road to California so we will have to see if it fares any better there.
I also did what I call a lot of faffing around, deciding what to teach in Germany at the beginning of December, ordered thread cards from Madeira, gathered materials for a possible arty series, looked up the Chinese meaning of “Wu”, and had a go at a couple of blocks for the Fancy Forest quilt.
This quilt has been on my quilt bucket list for a while. I thought it would make a nice, therapeutic background project. Some of the animals have rather a lot of pieces, in fact, rather a lot of tiny pieces. Despite cutting and sewing carefully, I had some issues with accuracy. IF I decide to stick with this rather fiddly project I am going to double the size of the pieces so the animals are twice their normal size and I won’t have to make so many!
I wondered if I would like a background project with bigger pieces so I had a crack at a Victoria Findlay Wolfe DWR. Apart from working out exactly where ¼” from each end is, this was far more satisfying to construct. I wonder whether I should buy some fabric to make myself a whole quilt or whether I should just throw every ugly offcut that I have into the mix.
My Mother asked if I might be able to run up a baby quilt some time in October but I decided to just strike while the iron was hot, grab some stash fabric and run up some 5” squares on a rainy afternoon. A computer pattern called “Candyland” finished it off and a binding was quickly applied. A finished quilt always gives a greater sense of achievement than any amount of admin, research or general faffing about!